Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Carbs...

So I'm messing around with the carbs on my various bikes.

It took me awhile to figure out, but it looks like someone stuck a 1977/1978 CT 90 carb on my 1970 CT 70.

This carb has a number of issues. The fuel filter cover seems to almost entirely be made out of Bondo. The filter itself is shot. I can't entirely tell if the wrong screws are holding the filter on or not, but they don't seem to "catch". I can't tell if something is stripped or they are the wrong screws. Annoyingly I dropped a tiny screw as well as the float valve while working on it last night and they both disappeared. Additionally when I pulled the main jet out of the carb, I didn't get a long jet out as I expected, just a tiny jet. Down below was a tube that looked like it might have been the stripped off jet that had somehow got stuck.

Further research seems to indicate this is maybe the correct small main jet, and there is a long pinholed jet down there that is stuck in there. Per DrATV.com at http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/dratv_2185_59519189:


I think that is what I see down the shaft. This would make some sense as the bike actually (somehow and not all that well) ran with this carb attached before I bought it. The main jet I pulled out is #18 on the diagram and #3 is the stuck piece.

This carb also has the altitude adjustment pieces (#9) which is not on the CT70. It doesn't seem to want to seat quite right. The float valve is part of the #1 at the bottom left.  The screws 12 and 13 are slightly different and are the ones I am having trouble with (you have to refer to the entire diagram at cmsnl.com: http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/carburetor-k6-77-ct90-trail-90-1978-usa_bighu0006e2614_42cc.gif


A number of things seemed to be labelled "1" on the diagram, so referring to them that way is not very helpful. Teh screen and cap that screws 13 hold in are shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment